March 24, 2006
Accessory Bathroom and Kitchen Facilities in Connection With Commercial and/or Manufacturing Uses
Zoning Resolution §12-10 prohibits accessory living and sleeping accommodations in C7, C8, and Manufacturing districts. These guidelines set forth the scope of acceptable accessory bathroom and kitchen facilities in connection with commercial and/or manufacturing uses in such districts.
Departmental Memorandum dated February 18, 1982
- Bathroom facilities adjacent to and off public hallways:
- Public bathrooms are permitted with multiple sinks, toilets and urinals.
- Bathtubs and showers are not permitted either within a public bathroom or off a public hallway.
- A janitor's closet with a sink is permitted.
- Facilities within individually-tenanted units:
- Bathrooms are not permitted in individually tenanted units: no toilets, sinks, showers or tubs.
- Plumbing stacks for future use are not permitted.
- One sink may be permitted in an individually tenanted unit, e.g. slop sink, or sink in connection with a darkroom or employee pantry area.
- Stoves with burners, cooking tops and ovens/broilers are not permitted.
- Configurations not complying with this Policy and Procedure Notice are to receive an objection.
- Notwithstanding the above, accessory bathrooms (without tub or shower) within individually tenanted units may be permitted as follows:
- Large commercial tenant occupying space above the ground floor and providing communal bathroom(s) for workers may provide one additional private bathroom serving an executive office.
- Ground floor commercial or manufacturing establishment directly accessible from the street may be provided with individual bathrooms.