Operations Policy And Procedure Notices #3/00
July 28, 2000
Alteration Repair Application
Local Law 6 of 1997
August 3, 2000
To implement the use and acceptance of the Alteration Repair Application (ARA-1 Form) in accordance with Local Law 6 of 1997. The ARA-1 Form will replace the Plumbing Repair Application (PRA/OBI-1) Form.
The ARA-1 Form and instructions are attached to this PPN (Attachment A). The application is to be used by the appropriate licensee (Master Plumber, Oil Burner Installer or Master Fire Suppression Contractor) for the approval of all minor plumbing/oil burner installations, sprinkler, standpipe, and combined sprinkler standpipe work as allowed by Local Law 6/97 and section 27-175 of the Administrative Code.
Local Law 6 of 1997 authorizes licensed Master Fire Suppression Contractors (FSC) and licensed Master Plumbers (MP) to perform certain types of sprinkler work without filing plans. Such work shall be filed on the ARA-1 Form.
- Dollar Limitations
The ARA-1 Form may be used for sprinkler work provided the proposed work does not exceed $10,000 per building in any twelve month period. The ARA limit for plumbing alteration repairs is $14,000 per building in any twelve month period.
- General Restrictions
- The (FSC) can only file for the class of work for which he/she is licensed.
- If the sprinklers come off the standpipe, all repairs, modifications, replacement or relocation of heads and replacement of parts and pipes must be performed by a licensed FSC.
- If the sprinklers come off the domestic water supply, a licensed MP or a licensed FSC may perform the replacement of up to and including 30 heads and a licensed FSC must perform the replacement of more than 30 sprinkler heads. The connection to the domestic water supply must be performed by a Master Plumber and must be filed prior to the filing of the ARA-1 Form for the sprinkler work.
- When a light hazardous occupancy room or space has an existing sprinkler system, an additional head with the maximum spacing allowed by code may be added by a licensed MP or licensed FSC. This applies as long as the number of heads added in the fire section does not exceed 5 and the space or room does not exceed 800 square feet. If more than 5 heads are to be added or the space is other than light hazardous occupancy, a PW-1 must be filed with plans. When adding heads to a hydraulic design system, the up to 5 heads being added in the fire section should not be located in the most remote area from the supply riser.
- Licensed MP's and licensed FSC's can rearrange up to 20 heads in light hazardous occupancy areas that are currently sprinklered that will remain light hazardous occupancy.
- Chemical systems cannot be filed on an ARA-1 Form.
- Filings for sprinkler, plumbing and oil burner installations and repairs must be on separate ARA-1 Forms. The work to be performed by a licensed Master Plumber cannot be filed on the same ARA as the work to be performed by the LFSC.
- All work must conform with the Building Code and Reference Standard 17 pipe schedules.
- Type/Description of work
- The type of plumbing work which can be filed on the ARA-1 Form remains unchanged from what was previously allowed to be filed on a PRA except that now a plumber can file for the replacement of up to and including 30 sprinkler heads. A Master Plumber may also file for the modification of a standpipe only if it is a stand alone (not combined) system. In addition Master Plumbers can only perform modifications on systems off the domestic water supply.
- There is no change in the type of boiler installation/ repair that may be filed on the ARA-1 Form.
- Licensed Master Fire Suppression Contractors may use the ARA-1 Form to file if the proposed work consists of any of the following:
- Replacement of parts on a combined standpipe system or a sprinkler system. If it is an emergency repair, the ARA must be filed within 24 hours after the commencement of the repairs.
- Replacement of sprinkler heads provided that the sizes and type remain the same and coverage per sprinkler must be in accordance with Building Code requirements.
- Changes that do not alter the type of sprinkler system (cannot change from wet to dry).
- Relocation of piping (extend or shorten) that does not affect the operation of the sprinkler system
- Relocation of combined fire standpipe auxiliary hose sources and cabinets within ten feet of their original location as long as the existing covered area is not affected and provided the relocation complies with subchapter 17 and reference standard RS17-1.
- FILING PROCEDURE
- The ARA (see attachment A) must be completed in its entirety and must be signed and sealed by a licensed Master Plumber, Oil Burner Installer or Fire Suppression Contractor. The instructions explain what information needs to be completed in the sections pertinent to each type of filing. When a licensed FSC is filing for replacement, modification, etc., of sprinkler heads which necessitates a change in the connection to the domestic water supply, they must provide the permit # or application/ARA-1 Form of the filing by the LMP for the domestic water connection.
- ARA's will be processed centrally and may be mailed to or dropped off at:
Alteration Repair Application Division
60 Hudson Street, 14th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10013
Only gas emergencies and collapsed cesspools may be processed in the Borough Office.
- The filing submission must include a check made payable to the Department of Buildings in the amount of the appropriate fee and a stamped self-addressed envelope for the approved application to be mailed back.
The PRA/ARA Division will process ARA's and mail the approved application to the applicant.
- SIGN OFF/SELF CERTIFICATION
The connection to the domestic water supply must be signed off prior to the sign-off on the entire system. The Department cannot accept an OP38/39 from the FSC until the domestic water connection has been signed off.