Notice of Public Hearing
NYC Human Resources Administration
NYC Dads
Inform NYC
Get Your ID
Contracts and Procurement
Important Information about Ebola

Rent Issues

A variety of government agencies and nonprofit organizations provide support to those who have fallen behind on rent.

Rental Arrears Grants for Single Adults and Families
The New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA) can assist tenants who have legal possession of an apartment, or applicants who have been evicted but whose landlords are willing to continue renting the apartment, by paying their arrears through a rental arrears grant. Grants are available for Public Assistance recipients and for those people ineligible for Public Assistance. Families and single adults are eligible.

Visit 311 Online
to contact the HRA Job Center in your area and apply for a rental arrears grant.

Family Eviction Prevention Services (FEPS)
If you are on Public Assistance, you may be eligible to receive a monthly rental supplement (in addition to your shelter allowance) and have some, or all, of your rental arrears paid. In order to be eligible for this supplement, you must:

  • Be a recipient of cash assistance; and 
  • Have a child younger than 18 at home, OR younger than 19 in high school and at home; and
  • Be in court because you are being sued for back rent.

To learn more, visit 311 Online for a list of these legal services or community-based organizations approved by the State of New York to handle FEPS applications.

Click Here for Available Rental Programs and Maximum Rent Guidelines, August 2013 (in PDF)

Homeless Prevention Fund
The Homeless Prevention Fund provides emergency financial assistance to households Citywide, who are unable to secure sufficient assistance through available programs and are at imminent risk of homelessness due to rent arrears. The Fund offers emergency financial assistance to low-income households who meet all of the following criteria:

  • Household income range between $15,000 and $30,000 annually; and 
  • An eviction petition has been filed; and
  • The household has the ability to pay rent in the future.

For more information on the Homeless Prevention Fund, please contact:

Coalition for the Homeless
129 Fulton Street
New York, NY 10038
Phone: (212) 776-2044

The Bridge Fund
105 East 22nd Street, Suite 621 E
New York, NY 10010
Phone: (212) 674-0812

Community Service Society
105 East 22nd Street, Room 409
New York, NY 10010
Phone: (212) 614-5375

Free Legal Representation to Prevent Eviction
DHS' Anti-Eviction Legal Services offices, with locations across the City, provide comprehensive, flexible and individualized legal and related services to help ensure that families with children avoid becoming homeless. Services may include:

  • Preparation and filing of required agency and court papers 
  • Negotiations with landlords and/or other advocacy assistance
  • Court appearances
  • Inquiries into whether a tenant's rent level is correct, whether there are conditions that require repair and whether these constitute defenses to a proceeding

Find the Anti-Eviction Legal Services location nearest you (in PDF)



In addition to our community-based offices, residents in ZIP codes 10456, 11207, and 11691 who are facing eviction may be eligible for comprehensive anti-eviction legal services offered at housing court. The Housing Help Program provides full social services, legal intake, and assessment and case management in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens. 
Learn more

Foreclosure Prevention
The Center for New York City Neighborhoods is a nonprofit entity founded by the City of New York, the New York City Council, and nonprofit partners to expand and coordinate services to homeowners and tenants facing foreclosure actions. Services include counseling, legal assistance, loan remediation, and preventive outreach, as well as education, research, and advocacy. 
Visit 311 Online for assistance
Learn more