Protect your Medicare number as you would your credit card information. Give it out only to people or organizations you trust.
If you find that someone is inappropriately using your personal Medicare information, contact the following:
- The Federal Trade Commission’s ID Theft Hotline to make a report at 1-877-438-4338 or if you are a TT user at 1-866-653-4261.
If you suspect Medicare fraud, call Medicare at 1-800-447-8477 (TTY: 1-877-486-2048) or your local police department immediately. If you feel in danger for any reason, call your local police department immediately.
Long Term Care Insurance
The ability to pay for long term care is of critical concern for many persons aged 45-60. The Long Term Care Insurance Resource Center at the Department for the Aging can:
Part of DFTA’s HIICAP, the Long Term Care Insurance Resource Center is supported by the New York State Office on Aging and provides free, impartial education and planning information about long term care insurance policies in New York. Call 311 to be connected to the Resource Center.
- Conduct presentations at your location about long term care insurance and the New York State Partnership policies;
- Meet with you individually to help you decide whether to purchase a long term care insurance policy;
- Answer questions about any existing policies;
- Connect individuals to the proper resources for answers to more in-depth questions.