New York's City Hall
New York's City Hall is one of the oldest continuously used City Halls in the nation that still houses its original governmental functions. Designed by Joseph François Mangin and John McComb, Jr. and completed in 1812, it is one of the finest architectural achievements of its period.
The Landmarks Preservation Commission designated City Hall an individual landmark in 1966 and its central rotunda an interior landmark in 1976. In 1993, the African Burial Ground and the Commons, which includes City Hall and the surrounding park, was designated a Historic District.
City Hall Rehabilitation
In 2010, the Bloomberg Administration launched a rehabilitation project to correct structural issues and preserve the historic building. In addition, the project included a new fire safety system, energy efficient HVAC system, and upgraded electrical service to bring the building up to 21st-century standards. Sustainable design features were incorporated throughout the project, reducing City Hall's energy footprint.
Through the generous support of private donors, the City was also able to conserve and document City Hall's rich art and archeological collections. This included the City Council Chamber ceiling and historic mural series by Taber Sears.