Newsletter Sign-up Printer Friendly Format Translate This Page Text Size Small Medium Large

Watershed Recreation Access Permit System

In order to responsibly provide recreational access to City-owned water supply lands, DEP issues a comprehensive Access Permit that allows for hiking and fishing on certain designated lands in the watershed. A DEP Access Permit is required on all City-owned recreational lands that are posted with “Entry by Permit” signs. City-owned lands that are immediately adjacent to reservoirs and open for recreation also require a DEP Access Permit. It is important that all recreational users verify the designated uses of City-owned lands because these designations may vary.

Applications for a DEP Access Permit are available at most DEP offices, watershed town halls, and various watershed tackle/sport shops. Permit applications can also be downloaded here and mailed to NYCDEP - Access Permits, 71 Smith Avenue, Kingston, NY, 12401. It typically takes about two weeks for DEP to process and mail Access Permits so applicants should plan accordingly to avoid delays. Recreational users who are at least 18 years old may visit the on-line Access Permit System, especially if they need their permit immediately.

Guest passes are available for certain individuals who wish to accompany an Access Permit holder onto City-owned lands but do not want to obtain their own Access Permit.

For additional information about DEP Access Permits or related watershed recreation topics, please refer to Access Permits Frequently Asked Questions. You may also e-mail DEP Access Permits or call 1-800-575-LAND (5263).

Reservoir Levels

Current: %

Normal: %