Newsletter Sign-up Printer Friendly Format Translate This Page Text Size Small Medium Large

Streamlined Emergency Boiler Permits

To receive a temporary emergency work boiler work permit, fax or email the following information to (718) 595-3846 or email it to and

  • Address where the installation will occur
  • Boiler and burner make and model numbers
  • Boiler input / firing rate (BTU/hr.)
  • Fuel type (only #2 and / or natural gas allowed)
  • Name, phone number and address of the licensed installer / plumber

A complete Work permit application must filed with DEP within 30 days of issuance of the temporary work permit. Applications for a work permit can be downloaded from at and hand delivered or mailed to DEP, 59-17 Junction Boulevard, 9th floor, Flushing, NY 11373. Please be sure to include the installation number in the application.

DEP regulates boilers in larger apartment and commercial buildings with at least 350,000 BTUs of power. Individual homeowners are not required to register with DEP. However, all commercial buildings must register with the Department. For more information on registering boilers in commercial buildings, visit:

The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has issued a temporary waiver of the 0.15 percent sulfur limit set by the New York City Administrative Code. Last week, DEP issued a temporary waiver of the requirement set forth in Section 24-168.1(b) of the New York City Administrative Code that grade no. 2, 4, and 6 heating oil contain at least two percent biodiesel by volume. New York State has also issued an executive order temporarily suspending its low sulfur requirements relating to no. 2 fuel oil sold in New York City.

Reservoir Levels

Current: %

Normal: %