Home Water Assistance Program
The Home Water Assistance Program is an initiative to make water and sewer bills more affordable for low-income homeowners. In 2014, DEP had partnered with the NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA) to select 12,500 qualified one- to four- family homeowners who received the Home Energy Assistance Program Regular Heating Benefit for the 2013-2014 heating season. In 2015, DEP expanded the program to include those who received one of these benefits: a Regular Heating Benefit, a Senior Citizens Homeowners Exemption or a Disabled Homeowners Exemption. DEP partnered with HRA and the NYC Department of Finance (DOF), which administer these programs, to identify over 51,700 qualified one to four family homeowners. As a result of the exemption, in 2017, over 53,000 qualified one to four familly homeowners were identified. Each qualified homeowner received a non-refundable credit of $115.89. In 2017, DEP expanded the program to include those who received an Enhanced School Tax Relief benefit and have incomes less than $50,000 as of Tax Year 2016. Qualified ESTAR benefit homeowners will receive a non-refundable credit of $115.89 by early 2018.
Homeowners are eligible if their property is a one, two, three or four family home AND:
- They received a Home Energy Assistance Program Regular Heating Benefit for the 2015-2016 heating season OR
- Had an approved Senior Citizen Homeowners Exemption from the NYC Department of Finance as of June 2016 OR
- Had an approved Disabled Homeowners Exemption from the NYC Department of Finance as of June 2016
- Had an approved Enhanced School Tax Relief benefit as of June 2016 from the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance and an income of less than $50,000 as of Tax Year 2016
You do not have to enroll in the Home Water Assistance Program. Eligible customers will automatically receive a credit on their water and sewer account.
How do I know if I have received the credit? A credit for $115.89 will appear on the first DEP bill you receive after the credit is applied. The transaction will be labeled “NYC Home Water Assistance Credit.”
Contact DEP’s Customer Service Call Center at 718-595-7000, available Monday through Friday from 9am to 6pm and Saturday from 9am to 2pm.
You can also visit one of our Borough Offices, open weekdays from 9am to 5pm:
Bronx – 1932 Arthur Avenue – 6th Floor
Brooklyn – 250 Livingston Street - 8th Floor
Manhattan – 1250 Broadway – 8th Floor
Queens – 96-05 Horace Harding Exp. 1st Floor
Staten Island - 60 Bay Street – 6th Floor
- HEAP is a federally funded program to assist homeowners with various utility costs. In NYC, it’s administered by the Human Resources Administration (HRA). For more information, visit HRA.
- SCHE and DHE are property tax exemptions administered by the NYC Department of Finance (DOF). To learn more about SCHE, visit SCHE. To learn more about DHE, visit DHE.
- ESTAR is a property tax exemption administered by the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance. To learn more about ESTAR, visit ESTAR.