Hospitality Industry Guide to Environmental Compliance in New York City
New York is extremely fortunate to have one of the most reliable and cleanest drinking water systems in the world. Drinking water is protected from the moment the rain falls to earth until it reaches your tap. The hospitality industry especially depends on this precious resource, whether a business is producing world class cuisine at a restaurant or serving delicious beverages in a vibrant nightlife establishment.
Please consider the following tips and precautions which will not only help protect the city’s water resources, but also help your business save money on water bills.
- Conservation: Be mindful of wasteful water use habits. For example, in restaurants, serve tap water to customers only upon request. You may also want to consider low-flush toilets and urinals, and water-efficient dishwashers.
- Check for leaks: Check all of your bathroom and kitchen fixtures for leaks, and hire a contractor or licensed plumber to search for hidden leaks under flooring or other “hard to get at” spots. A leaking toilet can waste up to 250 gallons of water per day—which will drive up your water bill.
DEP offers many ways to pay your water and sewer bill, but the most efficient method is to sign-up for My DEP Account. You may also download the My DEP smartphone app for iOS and Android.
Creating a profile on My DEP Account allows you to easily manage your water and sewer bills in several new ways:
- Monitor and track your daily water usage
- Receive leak notifications
- View and pay your bill online
- Sign up for paperless billing
- Track the status of a billing dispute
- View your payment history