Retrofit Projects

Fuel Cell at the Bronx Zoo

The Bronx Zoo, in partnership with DCAS, the New York Power Authority, and the NYC Department of Design and Construction, has installed a fuel cell at the Zoo's Lion House. The Lion House, built in 1903, is the largest of the Beaux-Arts buildings on the Zoo's central Astor Court and is a NYC Historic Landmark. As pictured below left, it has been reconstructed to house the Zoo's "Madagascar" exhibit.

Bronx Zoo "Madagascar" Exhibit

Photo credit: Julie Larsen Maher, WCS 

Jon Dohlin

The photo above right shows Jon Dohlin, Wildlife Conservation Society Project Manager for the Madagascar exhibit, overseeing the installation of the fuel cell at the rear of the Lion House. The energy-saving fuel cell will operate along with the existing Bronx Zoo cogeneration power system and with the Con Edison grid to reduce the electrical needs of the Lion House by 200 kilowatts. The clean, virtually emission-free power generated by the fuel cell allows the Zoo to meet its growing power needs while offsetting the need for upgrades to the existing Lion House's power supply. The heat generated by the fuel cell will be utilized for space heating and hot water, as opposed to wasted "up the stack" as in a conventional power plant.

[back to Retrofit Projects]