NYC Resources 311 Office of the Mayor
 
RSS RSS
Flickr Flickr
Follow @NYCPlanning on Twitter Twitter
  SEARCH  
City Planning:

 

Take me to...
Commission Meetings
Commission Reports
Census FactFinder
LUCATS - Land Use
Application Tracking
ZoLa - Zoning and Land Use Application
Community Portal
Waterfront Access Map
Zoning Map Finder
Map & Bookstore
Job Opportunities
Press Releases
DCP Site Map
Contact DCP

 

Click Once to Submit Query

 

Translate this page
 
Projects & Proposals > Manhattan > West Chelsea Printer Friendly Version
West Chelsea Zoning Proposal - Approved!
Proposal
Introduction | Background & Existing Conditions | Proposal | EIS | Timeline

Proposal:

 

High Line Adjacency Controls:
Development sites located between Tenth Avenue and the High Line would be subject to additional bulk controls. These controls would facilitate the reuse of the High Line as a public open space by preserving views, light, and air and by providing regular public access points from ground level to the High Line level.


Tenth Avenue Building Frontages
Consistent with the existing built character of walk-up apartment buildings and high streetwall loft buildings, bulk controls along Tenth Avenue would mandate a mix of low and high streetwalls and would help preserve light, air, and views for the High Line open space. Under these frontage regulations, the street wall of a building along Tenth Avenue could rise to between 35 feet and 45 feet in height for 25% of its Tenth Avenue frontage. This lowered streetwall would be required to be located at a street intersection. The remaining 75% of the street wall could rise to the maximum allowable building height.


High Line Adjacency Controls: Tenth Avenue Building Controls


NOTE: Tenth Avenue controls would apply only to developments that occupy at least 170 feet of the block front on Tenth Avenue


High Line Building Frontages
To create a varied experience along the length of the High Line open space, portions of buildings would be required to set back from the High Line while other portions of buildings would be permitted to rise directly adjacent to, and connect with, the High Line. A maximum of 40% of a building’s High Line frontage would be permitted to rise to the maximum allowable building height directly adjacent to the High Line structure. The remaining 60% (minimum) of a building’s High Line frontage would be permitted to rise no higher than the level of the High Line before setting back a minimum of 25 feet.


High Line Adjacency Controls: High Line Building Frontages



NOTE: High Line controls described above would apply only to developments that occupy at least 120 feet of the eastern High Line frontage.


High Line Adjacency Controls: Required Open Space
A minimum of 20% of the lot area would be required to be reserved as landscaped open space. To provide a visual extension of the High Line, the required open space would be located adjacent to and at a height not to exceed the level of the High Line. The required open space could not front on Tenth Avenue and could be used as a public or private space.


High Line Adjacency Controls: Required Open Space

 

 

High Line Adjacency Controls: West Side of the High Line
Within 15 feet of the west side of the High Line structure, buildings could rise no higher than the level of the High Line. For lots that occupy more than 60 feet of narrow street frontage, an additional 15 foot setback would be required at the base height.


High Line Adjacency Controls: West Side of the High Line




 




Copyright 2014 The City of New York Contact Us Privacy Policy Terms of Use