The proposed zoning map amendment would create the Special Enhanced Commercial District – 2 along Amsterdam Avenue generally between 73rd and 110th streets, and Columbus Avenue between 72nd and 87th streets, and the Special Enhanced Commercial District – 3 along Broadway between 72nd and 110th streets, would provide regulations pertaining to ground floor street frontage and transparency requirements. The proposed area to which the Special Enhanced Commercial Districts text would apply encompasses 77 blockfronts along Amsterdam and Columbus and 73 blockfronts along Broadway and in Manhattan CD7.
The proposed special district would be guided by the following goals:
Special Use Provisions
- encourage diverse retail and service opportunities;
- preserve and enhance the multi-store character of Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues; and
- promote an active streetscape and attractive environment for pedestrians.
- Ground floor frontage restrictions for new and expanding banks and residential lobbies
- Ground floor frontage restrictions for other new and expanding commercial uses along Amsterdam and Columbus
- Transparency/glazing requirements for new developments
- Minimum number of stores per block requirement on Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues for new development.
Each of the major components to this text amendment seeks to address a specific issue and will result in the strengthening of this established, dynamic commercial neighborhood.
The proposed Special Enhanced Commercial Districts text amendment would be shown on the zoning map by mapping a Special District, denoted "EC" for Enhanced Commercial.
Exceptions to the Special Use Provisions:
Buildings whose commercial depth is less than 30' would be exempt from any frontage limitations. Additionally, schools, houses of worship and pre-existing lots of less than 20' frontage would be exempted from the ground floor use and streetscape design/transparency regulations. Grocery stores would also be exempt.
Additionally, a Chair Certification will allow for existing businesses to apply for expanded frontages up to 60’, and a City Planning Commission Authorization will allow for a discretionary waiver of frontage maximums.
View the adopted text amendment as modified by CPC
Brief explanations of terms in green italics can be viewed by clicking on the term. Words and phrases followed by an asterisk (*) are defined terms in the Zoning Resolution, primarily in Section 12-10. Consult the Zoning Resolution for the official and legally binding definitions of these words and phrases.