New Connections/New Opportunities: Sunset Park 197-a Plan. The City Council adopted the plan, as modified and approved by the City Planning Commission, on December 21, 2009.
The plan offers a set of recommendations to guide future growth primarily in the waterfront area of Sunset Park as well as overall recommendations for Brooklyn Community District 7. The plan’s primary goals are to:
(1) promote industrial redevelopment and job creation in Sunset Park while retaining existing industrial jobs;
(2) maximize waterfront access and open space opportunities in combination with industrial and waterfront development;
(3) preserve existing industrial, commercial and residential uses and fabric in the area east of First Avenue;
(4) encourage development that places a minimal environmental burden on adjacent residential communities; and
(5) preserve and celebrate Sunset Park’s rich maritime and industrial heritage.
The report includes:
- The City Council Resolution, dated December 21, 2009, adopting the plan as modified and approved by the City Planning Commission.
- The City Planning Commission report, dated November 18, 2009, approving the plan with modifications.
- The Community Board’s proposed 197-a plan, as submitted April 18, 2008 and modified September 2009.