This page describes Malcolm X Boulevard as it appeared in 2001. The tour was developed as part of the Malcolm X Boulevard Streetscape Enhancement Project. These pages are no longer being updated.
12. Mount Olivet Baptist
Church 201-203 Malcolm X Boulevard on
the northwest corner with West 120th Street - Designated New
York City Historic Landmark
of how both residents and churches moved around Manhattan,
Mount Olivet Baptist Church and its congregation were originally
located in the Rockefeller Center area. The church is housed
today in the former Temple Israel of Harlem, one of the City's
most noted synagogues of the early 20th-century German Jewish
Community. This structure was built in the Neo-Roman Style
as designed by Arnold W. Brunner in 1906-07. Brunner studied
at the École des Beaux Arts in Paris and was at the
forefront of the design of grand Classical Revival synagogues.
The current congregation is to be commended for maintaining
the building in such exemplary condition since they acquired
it in 1925.