This page describes Malcolm X Boulevard as it appeared in 2001. The tour was developed as part of the Malcolm X Boulevard Streetscape Enhancement Project. These pages are no longer being updated.
6. Martin Luther King,
Jr. Houses East side of Malcolm X Blvd. from
W. 112th to W. 115th Streets
Typical of public housing projects
built in the early 1950's, these international style monoliths
were erected in phases and finally completed in 1954. The
portion on Malcolm X Blvd., named in memory of the slain
civil rights leader, is part of a series of four contiguous
public housing developments that extend from Malcolm X Blvd.
east to First Avenue between W. 112th and W. 115th Streets.
In 1991 there were 1,379 dwelling units and an estimated
3,534 tenants at Martin Luther King, Jr. Houses, alone.
Also included in "public housing row" are the
Senator Robert A. Taft Houses from Fifth to Park Avenues,
James W. Johnson Houses from Park to Third Avenues and Jefferson
Houses from Third to First Avenues, bringing the total to
5,652 dwelling units and an estimated 14,254 residents.
This figure may be higher
due to the recent increase in extended families. The complexes
have playgrounds, public open space, and other amenities
for the residents.
Martin Luther King Jr. Houses (from
113 looking North)