The New York City Department of City Planning - Bronx Borough Office and Transportation Division – received a grant for a transportation study of the Hutchinson River Parkway Corridor beginning in the spring of 2013.
The corridor study area lies roughly along the Hutchinson River Parkway/ New England Thruway between Baychester Avenue/ Pelham Parkway and Ferry Point Park.
This area is a growing regional employment center and serves as an economic engine for the Bronx. Current and planned developments in the area include more than one million square feet of office space; more than 700,000 square feet of planned regional retail and a proposed commuter rail station.
While the economic development is beneficial for the area, the additional auto-based trips have created traffic circulation and wayfinding problems in the street network, much of which includes lower density residential neighborhoods. Access to and from the highway is also becoming more congested, and safety issues are a concern.
Expansion of the Hutchinson Metro Center Office Complex
Building of 640,000 sf of Office Government Space (Public Safety Answering Center - PSAC II)
Target Retail Center Under Construction
Site of Proposed Paragon Outlet Shopping Mall
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the transportation needs along and surrounding the Hutchinson River Parkway corridor with the goal of improving existing conditions and developing longer-term recommendations for improvements as the area continues to grow.
Objectives of Project
- To examine and assess existing traffic conditions and street network within the corridor study area;
- To identify opportunities to accommodate new and existing uses;
- To improve connectivity and traffic circulation along selected corridors surrounding the Hutchinson River Parkway;
- To improve access and connectivity for pedestrians and bicyclists, including to the Hutchinson River Greenway and Pelham Parkway Greenway;
- To support connections to transit;
- To enhance transportation safety within the study area for all users.
A project kickoff meeting took place at the office of Bronx Community Board 10 on April 29th, 2013 to present the transportation study to members of the steering committee. The role of the steering committee is to provide overall leadership and guidance for prioritizing needs and developing a long term plan for the corridor. Its members are comprised of stakeholders of the communities that surround the Hutchinson River Parkway in the Bronx.
- SOBRO (South Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation)
- Westchester Square BID, Bronx Chamber of Commerce
- Community Board 11, Northeast Bronx Association
- City Councilman James Vacca
- Morris Park Medical/Educational Institutions – Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Calvary Hospital; Jacobi Medical Center, Bronx Psychiatric Center, Montefiore
- NYCEDC (NYC Economic Development Corporation), NYCDOT (NYC Department of Transportation) Freight Division
- Hutchinson Metro Center, Simone Development
- Community Board 10, Pelham Bay Taxpayers, Friends of Ferry Point Park
- NYSDOT (NY State Department of Transportation), NYCDPR (NYC Department of Parks and Recreation), Bronx Borough President’s Office
- MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority – Metro-North and NYC Transit Operations)
- NYCDOT( Bronx Borough Commissioner and Traffic Planning)
- New York State Senator Jeffrey D. Klein
- Review and analyze existing conditions - in progress and to be completed in the late Fall
- Present findings to community - late Fall/ early Winter
For more information about the project, contact the Bronx Office at 718-220-8500 or the Transportation Division at 212-442-4630.