Building upon the framework developed in a series of meetings with Community Board 6 over the past year, the Department of City Planning recently shared with Community Board 6 its draft rezoning proposal for 25 blocks along the Gowanus Canal. The proposal seeks to address many of the shared goals outlined during the development of the framework, including:
- Allowing for a mix of uses, including residential, in certain areas currently zoned for manufacturing uses - framework subareas A and B
- Maintaining areas for continued industrial as well as commercial uses
- Creating opportunities for public access at the canal's edge
- Enlivening the streetscape with pedestrian-friendly, active ground-floor uses
- Promoting affordable housing through the City's Inclusionary Housing Program
- Establishing limits for height and density that consider neighborhood context as well as other shared goals
The draft zoning proposal for the area identifies maximum floor area ratios, limits on height and setback, and other zoning provisions for this 25-block area.
Click here to see the Department’s draft zoning proposal.