CC Approval with Modifications
On April 30, 2008 the City Council (CC) approved with modifications the (A) applications (C 080100(A) ZRM and C 080099(A) ZMM) for the 125th Street Corridor Rezoning. The approved actions include a Zoning Map amendment and a Zoning Text amendment.
The approved Zoning Text amendment was modified by the CC in response to concerns raised during the public review process. The modifications include the following:
Reduction in the Allowed Residential Density in the C6-3 District within the Core
- The allowed residential density in the C6-3 zoning district within the Core Subdistrict, originally proposed at a base FAR of 6.0, bonusable to a maximum FAR of 8.0, was reduced to a base FAR of 5.4, bonusable to a maximum FAR of 7.2.
Changes to the Arts Bonus
- Creation of a Bonused Space Local Arts Advisory Council (the Advisory Council) consisting three members appointed by each Council Member representing one of the three Councilmanic districts in the Special District; the members appointed by a Council Member would sit on the Advisory Council only with respect to applications for proposed visual or performing arts spaces located in the Councilmanic district of their appointing officer. In addition, two members would be appointed by the Commissioner of the Department of Cultural Affairs, including the Council’s chair; these members would sit on the Advisory Council with respect to all applications. The appointees will be representative from the Harlem arts, non-profit or business communities.
- In making its determination, the Advisory Council would consider the prior history and/or proposed scope of outreach and educational activities in Community Boards 9, 10 or 11 by the proposed operator; and the organizational capacity and commitment of the proposed operator to implement local partnerships under a Community Engagement Plan. The Department of Cultural Affairs will provide staff assistance to the Advisory Council and will establish guidelines and procedures for the performance of its functions.
- The arts bonus provisions were also modified so that eligibility for the bonus requires that the proposed operator occupy the arts space under a lease having no less than a 15-year term, with two 5-year renewals.
- The list of arts uses that qualify for the arts bonus was expanded to include literary arts spaces and visual/media arts spaces.
View the approved zoning text amendment as modified by the the City Council.
Special 125th Street District Zoning Map
View a larger image.