All Materials for the Arts recipients must operate in the New York City area and be
- Nonprofit arts and cultural groups with at least a one year history of significant arts programming
- Public schools (NYC Department of Education schools should call 718-729-2150 to check their school’s registration status before applying)
- Social service, health, and environmental organizations with an ongoing art program
- Government agencies
Please Note: Individual artists working on projects in a public setting may qualify, but must be fiscally sponsored by a nonprofit organization. Private schools and religious organizations may not qualify as MFTA recipients. Additionally, we are not funded to support early childhood and Pre-K programs.
Public SchoolsCity, State, and Federal AgenciesNon-Profit Organizations & Sponsored ProjectsPublic Schools (New York City Department of Education)
Principals or School Staff: Use the online application form and under the Company or Organization - Name Field, enter your school number and name as “NYC DOE [insert school DBN here].” For example PS 110 in Manhattan should apply as: NYC DOE M110. Please make sure you include your DOE e-mail, e.g. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Teachers and School Staff: Most schools are already Materials for the Arts recipients. Speak to your principal about using his or her password at MFTA.org to add you to your school's list of authorized representatives. Principal's passwords can be requested here.
For questions regarding a public school's status with MFTA, please email email@example.com or call 718-729-2165.
City, State, and Federal Agencies (including public libraries, CUNY, SUNY)
- Please use the online application form.
- Submit a letter from an official representative outlining your program and your need for materials. The letter, addressed to Executive Director Harriet Taub, should be on official letterhead and must include: representative's title, full contact information, and signature.
- A contract will be mailed. This contract must be signed by the official representative and returned to MFTA by mail (33-00 Northern Blvd., Floor 3, Long Island City, NY 11101)
Nonprofit Organizations & Sponsored Artist's Projects
Please use the online application form and gather the following items to support your application. Only complete applications will be considered. Please complete your application within 90 days of submitting the online application form.
Submit all materials at one time by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 33-00 Northern Blvd, Floor 3, Long Island City, NY 11101. When submitting by email, all materials must be attached as either MS Word documents, PDF documents or as JPEGs. We cannot accept any information or documentation that is submitted in the body of the email or any links to websites or Google Docs.
- A formal request letter on official letterhead, addressed to Ms. Harriet Taub, Executive Director. Include your job title and contact information. The letter must be signed and dated; unsigned letters will be returned. In the letter please include:
- Description of your organization's arts programming
- Mission Statement
- List of Board of Directors and their titles if applicable-(fiscally sponsored artists must submit a resume, CV or bio of key personnel in lieu of the Board of Directors list.)
- Your organization's total operating budget (e.g. $40,000 annually - we do not need to see a detailed budget).
- List and name your organization's funding sources (e.g. NY Community Trust, City Council line item, etc.) **Please do not include the names of individual donors
- Proof of nonprofit status (submit one only):
- A copy of the IRS 501(c)(3) approval letter. This is a two page document. You must include the signature page - Page 2 or we cannot accept.
- A copy of the fiscal sponsor's 501(c)(3) and letter of agreement stating the terms and conditions of sponsorship.*
- New York State Charities Registration
- At least three different forms of documentation that proves at least two years of ongoing arts/cultural programming - flyers, photographs, calendars, exhibition catalogs, playbills and newsletters.
*New York Foundation for the Arts, The Field, Fractured Atlas, and New York Live Arts have IRS 501(c)(3) tax determination letters on file with MFTA. Artist's projects sponsored by these organizations should only request a letter outlining the scope and timeframe of sponsorship.Please Note:
MFTA does not support start-up organizations. You must have proof of ongoing art activity, not plans for future art activity.