About the Education Center
The Education Center at Materials for the Arts offers programming focused on creative reuse: making art with readily available materials and the ever-changing MFTA warehouse inventory. The Center hosts programs in two studios, organizes exhibitions of recipient artwork at MFTA Gallery, and sends teaching artists into the community to share the art of reuse. Since 2002, the Center's programs have reached tens of thousands of educators, students, artists, therapists, afterschool leaders, and community service providers.
The Education Center Offers:
Professional Development for Teachers: Hands-on studio-style Professional Development Workshops for educators to learn engaging projects for lessons in all content areas.
- Field Trips: Tour the MFTA warehouse, explore our art gallery, and make artwork to take home.
- In-school residencies: Bring Materials for the Arts to your school or site to enhance and reinforce curricula in math, science, social studies, and language arts.
- Art booths and Family Engagement Nights: Creative reuse program or art booth designed for a large audience, or a series of in-class art workshops linked to your curriculum
- Public Programs: Exhibitions, open studio nights, and workshops open to the public
- Teambuilding Workshops: Volunteer and then work together to create large-scale collaborative art pieces such as quilts, sculptures, or mosaics
Education Center at MFTA
33-00 Northern Boulevard, Floor 3
Long Island City, NY 11101