Department of Cultural Affairs NYCulture City of New York Department of Cultural Affairs NYCulture City of New York










About Cultural Affairs

1896 - 1964  |  1965 - 1980  |  1982 - 1995  |  1998 - 2007


1998 -   DCLA
moves to the former McGraw-Hill Building at 330 West 42nd Street.

2000 -   The Rose Center for Earth and Space
opens at the American Museum of Natural istory, becoming one of New York City’s most visited cultural icons.

2002 -   Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg
appoints Kate D. Levin Commissioner of Cultural Affairs.

2003 -   Cultural Development Fund
(CDF) is developed to replace two former funding streams, the borough Arts Development Fund (ADF) and the competitive Program Development Fund (PDF).

The Museum of Jewish Heritage
opens the 82,000 square-foot Robert M. Morgenthau Wing, the first new construction to open in Lower Manhattan following the September 11 attacks, and is a vital symbol of downtown renewal.

Mayor Bloomberg
appoints the Cultural Affairs Advisory Commission, chaired by Agnes Gund.

2004 -   The Blueprints for Teaching and Learning in the Arts,
created through an exceptional collaboration between educators from the public schools and representatives from the nonprofit arts community, is published. The Visual Arts and Music components are released in 2004, and the Dance and Theater components in 2005.

The Museum of Modern Art reopens in Manhattan. The project had received $65M in capital support from the City and becomes a highly visible symbol for the City’s commitment to provide capital funding for cultural projects in non-City-owned facilities.

Mayor Bloomberg establishes the Excellence in Design and Construction initiative to encourage City agencies to strive for excellence in design for all public works.

2005 -   After 26 Years of Planning,
and in fulfillment of one of Mayor Bloomberg’s inaugural promises, Christo and Jeanne-Claude’s
public art project The Gates transforms Central Park into a river of saffron-colored fabric.

2006 -   DCLA Oversees the Largest Budget
in the agency’s history and relocates to the gloriously restored Surrogate’s Court House, across from the Department of Education’s
headquarters and overlooking City Hall Park and Foley Square.




1896 - 1964  |  1965 - 1980  |  1982 - 1995  |  1998 - 2007