Details of the next Sanitation Worker exam will be posted in the near future. Please check this website.
For automated information about exams open for filing, and/or your exam or list status, call (212)-669-1357. For information about a specific exam you have taken please have your exam number and social security number available when you call.
The Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) Monthly Exam Schedule includes different types of examinations. Open competitive exams are open to members of the public, while promotion exams are only open to current City employees, who are in an eligible title.
Some exams are offered regularly on a walk-in basis at the DCAS Computer-based Testing & Applications Centers (CTACs), conveniently located in lower Manhattan (2 Lafayette Street, 17th floor) and in downtown Brooklyn (Brooklyn Municipal Building, 210 Joralemon Street, 4th floor). Candidates for these exams will apply at one of the CTACs on the day of the test.
Some important information about the CTACs:
- Electronic devices, including cell phones, are not permitted in the testing areas.
- Check the Notice of Examination to see if calculators are permitted.
- If you are requesting an exam filing fee waiver, you must provide a copy of acceptable documentation. DCAS staff cannot make copies of your documentation.
- Seating is limited. Once the CTAC is filled to capacity, no more candidates will be admitted.
- You are encouraged to take a test earlier in the month since there is generally more seating available at these times. Be sure to note the specific days and times that the exam you are interested in taking is being offered before reporting to a CTAC.
- The CTACs are open 6 days a week; however, on some dates, such as holidays, the CTACs may be closed for walk-in testing. Any planned closures would be noted on the DCAS website, as well as in the CTAC Monthly Exam Schedule. In the event of an unscheduled closure, an automated message can be heard by calling (212) 669-1357.
For non-walk-in exams, candidates are required to apply during a filing period a number of months in advance of the expected test date. Applicants will receive an admission notice for these exams by mail approximately one week before the test date, which will include the time and location of the test. If you do not own or have access to a computer with internet access, you may visit one of the CTACs and use one of our computers dedicated for use by the public to submit applications online.
Ready to apply or search for specific information? Use the quick links below:
Use the links below to access additional information regarding examinations including information on:
- NYC Exam Regulations
- Application fee waivers
- Foreign Education (how to receive credit for foreign education claimed in Education & Experience tests)
- Special Circumstances (for exams, including special accommodations, additional credit (Veterans’ Parent & Sibling Legacy Credit), requesting an alternative test date, changing your address, etc.)
- Note Revision to Allowable Reasons for an Alternative Test Date: An alternative test date may now be requested for a temporary disability, pregnancy-related, or child-birth-related condition preventing you from taking the exam on the day it is scheduled. Please click the Special Circumstances link for details.
- Key answers for exams you have already taken
- Protest Procedures
- Data Correction Form