Manhattan Civil Courthouse
Photo by: Ralph Selitzer, DCAS
111 Centre Street (75 Lafayette Street)
New York, NY 10013
Date Built: 1960
Architect: William Lescaze and M. W. Del Gaudio
The Manhattan Civil Courthouse is bounded by Centre, White, Lafayette and Leonard Streets. There is a park sitting area south of the building. It contains the Housing Court, the Landlord and Tenant Parts of the Civil Court, and elements of the Supreme Court and associated offices.
The building was designed by William Lescaze and M. W. Del Gaudio and was built in 1960. The court functions at the Tweed Courthouse were moved to this building and plans - happily unrealized - called for the Tweed Courthouse to be demolished.
The modern style structure has limestone facing and stainless steel windows. William Lescaze was a pioneering modern architect. Both he and Matthew Del Gaudio were part of the team responsible for the praised Williamsburg Houses, a 1937 public housing project in Brooklyn. The Civil Courthouse, which faces an open plaza, is part of the northern Civic Center, which is judicial in character.
This courthouse was the City's first to be recognized and honored as being barrier-free and accessible to persons with disabilities.
Return to the Public Buildings Home page