Translate the page Printer this Page Email a Friend Newsletter Sign-Up Text Size: Sm Med Lg
Department of Consumer Affairs
Get Adobe PDF Reader
 Adobe Acrobat Reader
(required to view PDFs)
License and Revocable Consent Renewal Requirments for Enclosed Sidewalk Cafe

Sidewalk cafés must renew their DCA license and revocable consent every two years.

You can submit required materials and payments in person or by mail to:
DCA's Licensing Center
Attention: Sidewalk Café Unit
42 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10004


1. DCA must receive required materials and payments and confirm that your Sidewalk Café license is in good standing before we can issue temporary permission to operate. In good standing means you have no violations or outstanding consent fees.

2. Although DCA does not require submission of your Food Service Establishment Permit from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, your permit must be current before we can process your renewal application.

3. Submit the listed materials in the specified quantities.

  • Renewal License Application (original and nine copies)
    Review the information preprinted on your Renewal License Application, answer all questions, check the affirmation, and sign. If you need another copy of the Application, click here to download.
    Note: If your business is a corporation, your corporation must be listed as “active” on the New York State Division of Corporations website.
     Visit or call (518) 473-2492 to check the status of your corporation. If your corporation is not listed or is listed as “inactive,” DCA will return your application.
  • Sidewalk Café Compliance Checklist (original and nine copies)  [download]

  • Petition for Revocable Consent (original and nine copies)  [download]

  • Substitute Form W-9 (original)  [download]

  • Zero Tolerance Policy Affirmation (original)  [download]

  • Personal and Property Liability Insurance (one copy of the certificate)
    • Your Insurance Certificate must name the City of New York as the certificate holder. (Download sample Certificate of Liability Insurance.) 
    • Your Insurance Certificate must be executed by a broker and list the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Number. 
    •  Your business name and address must be exactly the same on all documents. o The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) must be included as “Additional Insured” in the description box.
    • Insurance must have an A.M. BEST ( rating greater than A-. 
    • The policy must have the following minimum amounts:
      – $100,000 per person for personal injury
      – $300,000 per person for accident
      – $25,000 per person for property damage 

  • Notarized Certification by Broker (original)  [download]

  • Letter of Notification (one copy)
    You must submit a copy of the certified or registered mail letter of notification sent to all persons who occupy properties within 50 feet of either side of the sidewalk café. 

  • Certified or registered mail receipts for the letters of notification sent (one copy) 

  • Notarized Affidavit stating letter of notification was sent to all required parties (original) 

  • Photographs of the sidewalk café (nine photos)
    You must submit three sets of recent photos: one from left looking right, one from right looking left, and one from front looking in the direction of the café. 

  • Notarized letter outlining any changes to sidewalk since your last application submission, including street furniture (e.g., bicycle racks, subway grates, trees, etc.) (original and nine copies)
    • If nothing has changed, the letter can state, “Nothing has changed since the last submission of plans, including all street furniture.” 
    • If you made changes to the sidewalk café (i.e., changed the square footage, layout, or amount of tables and chairs), you must also submit new plans (original and nine copies). Please call (212) 487-4208 for further instructions.
    • See #5 for information about Department of Planning fee.
  • Approval letter or application form from the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), if applicable (one copy) 

  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation, if applicable (original)  [download]

4. The license renewal fee is $510 and the revocable consent renewal fee is $445 for a total fee of $955. 

  • DCA does not accept cash. 
  • You can pay the total fee by check or money order, payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. Include your license number. 
  • Credit cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Payments are subject to a 2.49% Convenience Fee.  

5. You must also pay a fee to the Department of City Planning (DCP). 

  • You must pay the fee by check or money order, made payable to City of New York. Include your license number.
  • If you did not make changes to the sidewalk café (see #3), the DCP renewal fee is $27.50 per seat with a $680 minimum.
  • If you made changes to the sidewalk café, the DCP plan review fee is $55 per seat with a $1,360 minimum.   


  • Submitting these requirements does not mean that your license is automatically renewed.
  • DCA will mail a temporary operating letter after we receive required materials and payments and confirm that your license is in good standing. DCA will mail your renewed license after revocable consent is approved. 
  • DCA will not accept any renewal package after July 15, 2013. If you fail to submit your renewal package before July 15, you must submit a new license application. You can submit new applications online or in person. 
  • It is your responsibility to timely pay consent fees, submit updated insurance before the insurance expiration date, and comply with all applicable laws and regulations. 
  • You may receive time-sensitive communications from DCA as the City reviews your petition for revocable consent. You must respond by the deadlines provided.