Translate the page Printer this Page Email a Friend Newsletter Sign-Up Text Size: Sm Med Lg
Department of Consumer Affairs
Get Adobe PDF Reader
 Adobe Acrobat Reader
(required to view PDFs)

How can my business apply for a license?
Visit Business Toolbox's Apply for a DCA License page for a list of industries that require a DCA license. Each industry has its own description page outlining the application filing process and requirements.

Applicants can also call 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK outside NYC) or come in person to the DCA Licensing Center, located at 42 Broadway, in Lower Manhattan to request an application packet. The application will have a cover sheet that explains in detail exactly what documents you must submit with your application, and where to obtain them. If you pick up your application in person, a DCA Licensing Center staffer will review each requirement listed on the cover sheet with you. Be sure to ask questions if you do not understand the application process. 

Does my business need to complete all required forms in order to process my application?
Yes. Before applying for a license, please be sure to read the requirements on the application and download/print all required forms for the license.

Can someone other than the business owner or partner apply for a license on the company’s behalf?
Yes. For many DCA licenses, if someone other than the owner, a partner, or corporate officer of the business will be filing the application, a completed “
Granting Authority to Act Affirmation” is needed. Some licenses require that the individuals listed on the application appear in person to submit fingerprints or to take exams. Be sure to check the license requirements to know for sure.

Does my business need a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)?
An EIN is required for most businesses; only sole proprietors with no employees are not required to have an EIN. (Sole Proprietors can use a Social Security Number as an EIN.) 
Click here for information on how to obtain an EIN.

Does my business have to report child support payments?
If your business is a SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP or GENERAL or LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, the proprietor or each individual general partner must submit a 
Child Support Certification Form when applying for a license.

How long does it take to process an application?
For some DCA-licensed businesses, if all requirements are in order, your application will be processed immediately at the DCA Licensing Center. You should receive your license in about two weeks. For applications that require inspections or approvals from other City agencies, such as the Buildings, Fire, or Transportation departments, those requiring a DCA qualifying examination, or those requiring a fingerprint check, approval can take from two weeks to several months.

You should begin preparing your application well before the date you wish to start any licensed activity. Operation without a current license is subject to penalties. No provisional licenses will be issued. No required documents will be waived.

How can my business renew a license?
Please refer to the renewal application and instructions you received in the mail or visit Renew Your DCA License for more information.

What forms of payment does DCA accept?
DCA accepts payment by check, money order, and credit card. Cards accepted at the Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Note: You cannot use a credit card to make an installment payment to DCA. You can use a credit card to pay a balance in full.

How can my business obtain a Certificate of Approval from the DCA Bureau of Weights and Measures?
A Certificate of Approval is required for the 
Scale Dealer/Repairer license. Any person or business dealing in, trading in, selling, receiving, or repairing condemned, rebuilt, or used weighing or measuring devices requires a Scale Dealer/Repairer license. To obtain a Certificate of Approval for your testing equipment (e.g., weight kit), please visit the DCA Bureau of Weights and Measures Testing Station at 245 Meserole Avenue in Brooklyn. Please call (718) 349-0465 to schedule an inspection between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on weekdays.

How can I schedule an inspection for my scale(s)?
You can submit a 
Scale Inspection Request Form online. NOTE: You will be redirected to a web page, where you must register an account with the City of New York.

DCA will bill you for the scale inspection fee after the inspection. Note that DCA inspectors cannot accept payment. You must send payment to DCA. Fee amounts are set by New York State Weights and Measures Regulations (scroll down to Laws and Regulations section, Part 220: Basic Inspection). For convenience, fee amounts for scales inspected by DCA are provided below.

Scale Type Fee Per Scale
Up to and including 15 kg (33 lb) capacity $20
Over 15 kg and including 300 kg (661 lb) capacity $40
Over 300 kg and including 1,500 kg (3,307 lb) capacity $100

Does the City offer certification for minority- or woman-owned businesses?
The NYC Department of Small Business Services’ (SBS) Minority- and Women-Owned Business Enterprise (M/WBE) Program is designed to make it easy for purchasers at public agencies and private companies to identify New York City certified minority- and women-owned businesses that sell the goods and services they are looking to buy. 
Click here to register or to find out more about the program.

How can I contact DCA if I have additional questions about my business?
There are five ways to contact DCA:

Live Chat: Visit the Business Toolbox for more information.
Live Chat is open from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays, excluding holidays.
By Phone:  Call 311 (212-NEW-YORK outside NYC)
By E-mail:                   Send a message to Commissioner Julie Menin 
In Person:   Visit the DCA Licensing Center, located at 42 Broadway, Lobby, in Lower Manhattan weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (8:30 a.m to 5 p.m. on Wednesdays)
By Mail: 

Department of Consumer Affairs
Licensing Center
42 Broadway 
New York, NY 10004

Note: Requests for legal interpretations must be sent by e-mail or by mail to:

Department of Consumer Affairs
Legal Compliance and Fitness
42 Broadway, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10004

View recent legal interpretations issued by DCA