|Click here to download all materials for a Pedicab Driver license application as one file.|
PEDICAB DRIVER (INDIVIDUAL) (131)
DCA Licensing Center
42 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10004
For more information, call 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK outside of New York City).
You must have a Pedicab Driver license if you drive or propel a pedicab for hire to passengers within the City of New York. Pedicab Driver applicants must be at least 18 years old. This description is only a general explanation of which individuals need to have a Pedicab Driver license.
ADDITIONAL DCA LICENSE YOU MAY NEED:
- If you are a pedicab owner (you own, lease, or otherwise control a pedicab or pedicabs) and operate or authorize the operation of one or more pedicabs for hire to passengers within the City of New York, you must hold a Pedicab Business license
Note: Note: New York City businesses must comply with all relevant federal, state, and City laws and rules. All laws and rules of the City of New York, including the Consumer Protection Law and Rules, are accessible using the Public Access Portal. For convenience, sections of the New York City Licensing Law (and Rules, if enacted) are available as a downloadable handout. The handout also includes §1-05 Regulated Uses from the Department of Parks and Recreation. Please see i. Bicycling and operating Pedicabs.
Please note that businesses are responsible for knowing and complying with the most current laws, including any City Council amendments. The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is not responsible for errors or omissions in the handout. The information is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer.
When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application:
- Basic Individual License Application
Applying for the license online does not mean the license is automatically approved. A major credit card is required to submit applications online. Convenience fees apply. After reviewing application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of this Web page to submit your application online.
For in-person application submission, applicants can download the Basic Individual License Application (in PDF)
- Photo Identification (ID) of License Applicant
Acceptable forms of ID include:
- driver’s license or a non-driver’s license identification issued by a State Department of Motor Vehicles
- license or permit issued by a government agency
- alien card/green card
- a City, State, or Federal employee ID card
- Current color passport-size photograph of License Applicant
License Applicants can be photographed in the DCA Licensing Center at no cost.
Please note that you can upload an image file if you submit your license application online.
- Child Support Certification Form (download)
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.
- Current Driver’s License
You must hold a motor vehicle driver’s license that is valid under New York State law, and that proves you are at least 18 years old, as required by New York State law. Valid licenses include:
- licenses issued by New York State
- licenses issued by other U.S. states, U.S. territories, Federal districts, and other countries unless you are or become a resident of New York State
Note: An international driving permit is not a driver’s license.
For information on New York State requirements for a valid driver’s license, visit the Department of Motor Vehicles online at www.dmv.ny.gov
Requirements for Holders of Non-New York State Driver’s Licenses:
- If you become a resident of New York State, State law requires that you get a New York State driver’s license within 30 days of becoming a New York State resident.
- If you are not a resident of New York State and possess a valid driver’s license from another state, territory, Federal district, or another country, you must submit to DCA with your application:
- a Certified Abstract of your driving record issued within the last 30 days from the State Department of Motor Vehicles, territory, district, country (or political subdivision) that issued your license that demonstrates the license is valid and in full force and effect OR
- other certified proof issued within the last 30 days from the territory, district, or country (or political subdivision) that issued your license that demonstrates that the license is valid and in full force and effect
Note: You may be required periodically to submit abstracts or other proof to demonstrate that your license remains valid and in full force and effect.
- License Fee
The License Fee must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed.
Please note that convenience fees apply if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.
Pedicab Driver License
License Expiration Date
If You File Your Application Between These Dates:
Your License Fee is:
From May 1 to November 1
From November 2 to April 30
*Note: If you are applying for a license between November 2 and April 30, you can pay the prorated fee for the license period about to end ($18) PLUS the fee for the new one-year license period ($35), for a total of $53. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until April 30 of the next year.
Online Applicants: If you submit your license application online between November 2 and April 30, you will be required to pay the combined fee totaling $53. You will not need to renew the license until April 30 of the next year.
APPLICATION FILING PROCESS:
Please make sure that you have reviewed and recorded the information required to submit a license application online before clicking the button below. Note: As outlined in the “When You File” section, applicants must submit the following supporting documents: current driver’s license, photograph, Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable), and proof of driving record (if applicable). Please note that the image file you upload must be digital passport photo quality. A digital camera with a resolution of 1 mega-pixel will be more than adequate. If you do not upload required documents as part of the application form submission, e-mail or bring documents to the DCA Licensing Center within five (5) business days after successfully filing the application form online. Applicants should follow instructions on the printed confirmation page. Your license application will not be complete without these requirements.
You will be routed to NYC Business Express.
Applications may be filed in person at the DCA Licensing Center at the address above between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday.
After You File Your DCA License Application:
Below is information you need to know after submitting your license application:
- Pedicab Accident Report
You must submit a written Accident Report of every accident relating to a pedicab within 24 hours after the occurrence. If the accident results in death or a person sustaining an injury that requires medical treatment, you must notify the Department of Consumer Affairs immediately via phone, fax, and/or e-mail as provided on the Accident Report.