Translate the page Printer this Page Email a Friend Newsletter Sign-Up Text Size: Sm Med Lg
Department of Consumer Affairs
Get Adobe PDF Reader
 Adobe Acrobat Reader
(required to view PDFs)
License Application Checklist


DCA Licensing Center
42 Broadway
New York, NY 10004
For more information, call 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK outside of New York City). 

You must have a Pedicab Driver license if you drive or propel a pedicab for hire to passengers within the City of New York. Pedicab Driver applicants must be at least 18 years old. This description is only a general explanation of which individuals need to have a Pedicab Driver license. 


  • If you are a pedicab owner (you own, lease, or otherwise control a pedicab or pedicabs) and operate or authorize the operation of one or more pedicabs for hire to passengers within the City of New York, you must hold a Pedicab Business license 

Note: Note: New York City businesses must comply with all relevant federal, state, and City laws and rules. All laws and rules of the City of New York, including the Consumer Protection Law and Rules, are accessible using the Public Access Portal. For convenience, sections of the New York City Licensing Law (and Rules, if enacted) are available as a downloadable handout. The handout also includes §1-05 Regulated Uses from the Department of Parks and Recreation. Please see i. Bicycling and operating Pedicabs.

Please note that businesses are responsible for knowing and complying with the most current laws, including any City Council amendments. The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is not responsible for errors or omissions in the handout. The information is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer.


When You File Your DCA License Application:

Below are requirements when filing your license application:

  • Basic Individual License Application   
    Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.

In-person submission: Download the Basic Individual License Application.

  • Photo Identification (ID) of License Applicant
    Acceptable forms of ID include:
    • driver’s license or a non-driver’s license identification issued by a State Department of Motor Vehicles
    • license or permit issued by a government agency
    • passport
    • alien card/green card
    • a City, State, or Federal employee ID card   
  • Current color passport-size photograph of License Applicant
    License Applicants can be photographed in the DCA Licensing Center at no cost. 

    Please note that you can upload an image file if you submit your license application online.  
  • Child Support Certification Form (download
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
    If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.  
  • Current Driver’s License  
    You must hold a motor vehicle driver’s license that is valid under New York State law, and that proves you are at least 18 years old, as required by New York State law. Valid licenses include:
    • licenses issued by New York State
    • licenses issued by other U.S. states, U.S. territories, Federal districts, and other countries unless you are or become a resident of New York State 

Note: An international driving permit is not a driver’s license.

For information on New York State requirements for a valid driver’s license, visit the Department of Motor Vehicles online at

Requirements for Holders of Non-New York State Driver’s Licenses:

  • If you become a resident of New York State, State law requires that you get a New York State driver’s license within 30 days of becoming a New York State resident.
  • If you are not a resident of New York State and possess a valid driver’s license from another state, territory, Federal district, or another country, you must submit to DCA with your application:
    • a Certified Abstract of your driving record issued within the last 30 days from the State Department of Motor Vehicles, territory, district, country (or political subdivision) that issued your license that demonstrates the license is valid and in full force and effect OR
    • other certified proof issued within the last 30 days from the territory, district, or country (or political subdivision) that issued your license that demonstrates that the license is valid and in full force and effect

Note: You may be required periodically to submit abstracts or other proof to demonstrate that your license remains valid and in full force and effect.

  • License Fee
    Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed.   

    Please note that a 2.49% convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online. 

Pedicab Driver License

License Term

License Expiration Date

If You File Your Application Between These Dates:

Your License Fee is:

1 year

April 30

From May 1 to November 1



From November 2 to April 30


*If you are applying for the license within three to six months prior to the end of the license period, you can pay the prorated fee for the license period about to end plus the fee for the new license period. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.



  1. Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
  2. If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
  3. After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
  4. Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.

You can file applications in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

After You File Your DCA License Application:
Below is information you need to know after submitting your license application:

  • Pedicab Accident Report
    You must submit a written Accident Report of every accident relating to a pedicab within 24 hours after the occurrence. If the accident results in death or a person sustaining an injury that requires medical treatment, you must notify the Department of Consumer Affairs immediately via phone, fax, and/or e-mail as provided on the Accident Report. 



Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.