Translate the page Printer this Page Email a Friend Newsletter Sign-Up Text Size: Sm Med Lg
Department of Consumer Affairs
Get Adobe PDF Reader
 Adobe Acrobat Reader
(required to view PDFs)
License Application Checklist


DCA Licensing Center
42 Broadway
New York, NY 10004
For more information, call 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK outside of New York City). 

Pedicabs CANNOT operate in New York City without a DCA-issued pedicab registration plate. By law, the City can only issue new pedicab registration plates when the number of registered pedicabs falls below 840. You should submit this application if:

  • A licensed pedicab business has agreed to transfer a pedicab registration plate to you and you are a new business or a licensed pedicab business with fewer than 30 registered pedicabs.
  • There is a Pedicab Registration Plate Lottery, and you receive an offer to be issued a pedicab registration plate after applying for the lottery.

IMPORTANT: The period to apply for the pedicab registration plate lottery begins February 18, 2015 and ends March 18, 2015. DCA must receive your completed Pedicab Registration Plate Lottery Application by 5 p.m. on March 18. Learn more


You must have a Pedicab Business license if you are a pedicab owner (you own, lease, or otherwise control a pedicab or pedicabs) and operate or authorize the operation of one or more pedicabs for hire to passengers within the City of New York.

This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Pedicab Business license.


  • If you drive or propel a pedicab for hire to passengers within the City of New York, you must also obtain a Pedicab Driver license. 

Note: New York City businesses must comply with all relevant federal, state, and City laws and rules. All laws and rules of the City of New York, including the Consumer Protection Law and Rules, are accessible using the Public Access Portal. For convenience, sections of the New York City Licensing Law (and Rules, if enacted) are available as a downloadable handout. The handout includes 2013 law and rule changes. See below. The handout also includes §1-05 Regulated Uses from the Department of Parks and Recreation. Please see i. Bicycling and operating Pedicabs. 

New Pedicab Regulations
By law, you must:

  • Use a timer to determine rates.
  • Post a sign on both exterior sides of the pedicab with the price per minute per ride and additional information.
  • Post a sign on the rear of the bicycle seat with the price per minute per ride.
  • Distribute to all passengers a Pedicab Information Card, which includes important information and serves as a receipt.

Please note that businesses are responsible for knowing and complying with the most current laws, including any City Council amendments. The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is not responsible for errors or omissions in the handout. The information is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer.


Before You File Your DCA License Application:
You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application. Although DCA does not require submission of these documents in order to process your application in person or online, DCA reserves the right to request and examine the documents under section 20.104 of the New York City Administrative Code.

  • Applicable Business Certificates based on your Business's Legal Structure 

Sole Proprietorships operating under a name other than your own must file a Business/Assumed Name Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.

Sole Proprietorships doing business under your own name—and not under a trade or Doing-Business-As (DBA) name—do not need a Business Certificate.

General/Business Partnerships must file your Partnership Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.

Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Department of State. Active status will be verified by DCA prior to license issuance. You can confirm the status of your business entity at NYS Web site. If applicable, you must also file an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.

Businesses incorporated out of state must obtain a Certificate of Doing Business in Good Standing from your home state’s Secretary of State and file this with an application for Authority to Conduct Business in New York with the New York State Secretary of State.

When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application. If you fail to submit all documents, your application will be denied. 

  • Basic License Application
    Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.

In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application Form 

  • Roster of Pedicabs (download)
    Pedicab Business applicants can apply for no more than 30 pedicabs.
  • Proof of Sale or Transfer of Pedicab Registration Plates Affirmation
    Proof of Sale   
    (required for licensed pedicab businesses with fewer than 30 registered pedicabs)
    Submit a copy of your bill of sale, sales receipt, or sales contract as proof that you purchased the pedicab(s) from a DCA-licensed pedicab business. The proof must include the DCA Registration Plate Number found on each pedicab.

    Transfer of Pedicab Registration Plates Affirmation  
    (required for new Pedicab Business license applicants)
    The transferor pedicab business (the business transferring pedicabs to you) must complete the Transfer of Pedicab Registration Plates Affirmation.

    Note: If you apply for a pedicab registration plate lottery and receive an offer to be issued a pedicab registration plate, you do not need to submit this requirement.  

  • Pedicab Business Ownership and Family Disclosure Form (download

    Note: If you apply for a pedicab registration plate lottery and receive an offer to be issued a pedicab registration plate, you do not need to resubmit this requirement.
  • Personal and Property Liability Insurance for Pedicabs
    You must submit a copy of the Insurance Certificate for your pedicabs and a copy of the entire insurance policy that is in full force and effect. The certificate must list each of the insured pedicabs by Pedicab Identifying Number (PID) or DCA Registration Plate Number. The insurance policy must cover all drivers and must name the City of New York as an insured party. 

Download Insurance Agent List (in PDF)
The companies on this list have issued, or certify that they will issue, pedicab liability insurance policies that comply with New York City law and rules. The list must not be considered a recommendation of any insurance agent, or a complete listing. Companies are listed in alphabetical order.

If you obtain insurance covering the entire pedicab business, the minimum insurance amount is $2,000,000 combined single limit for injury or death of one or more persons, and damage to or destruction of property, with a maximum of $1,000,000 for each accident.

If you insure each pedicab individually, the minimum insurance amounts for each pedicab are: 

  • $100,000 for personal injury or death of any one person resulting from any one accident
  • $300,000 for personal injury or death of two or more persons resulting from any one accident, with a $100,000 maximum coverage per person 
  • $50,000 for property damage 

Please Note: You are required to notify DCA within 14 days if your insurance policy is cancelled, expired, or was terminated for any reason. Notification must be in writing and submitted in person OR by mail to:

Attn: Special Applications Unit
New York City Department of Consumer Affairs
42 Broadway
New York, NY 10004

  • Pedicab Business Insurance Affirmation (download)
  • Pedicab Business License Application Affirmation (download) 
  • Records of All Summonses, Complaints, or Notices of Violation
    Submit records of all summonses, complaints, or Notices of Violation received by a pedicab driver while operating a pedicab registered to your business. DCA will verify this information. Failure to submit records can constitute grounds for the denial of your application. 
  • Pedicab Policies, Procedures, and Instructional Materials
    Submit a copy of the policies & procedures and instructional materials you use to train your pedicab drivers. Note: It is unlawful for pedicab businesses to fail to train pedicab drivers about the provisions of State and Local Law governing the operations of pedicabs. See the law included in this packet.   
  • Child Support Certification Form (download)
    If your business is a SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP or GENERAL or LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, the proprietor or each individual general partner must submit a Child Support Certification Form
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
    If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.
  • License Fee
    The License Fee must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed.

    Please note that a 2.49% onvenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online. 
Pedicab Business License
License Term: 1 year 
License Expiration Date: November 1       
If You File Your Application Between These Dates:    Your License Fee is: (includes one registration plate)  Additional registration plates  Fee per Timer Inspection 
From November 2 to May 2 $110 $60 each $10 each
From May 3 to November 1 $85
$60 each $10 each









*If you are applying for the license within three to six months prior to the end of the license period, you can pay the prorated fee for the license period about to end plus the fee for the new license period. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.



  1. Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
  2. If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
  3. After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
  4. Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.

You can file applications in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

After You File Your DCA License Application:
Below is information you need to know after submitting your license application:  

  • Pedicab Inspection
    DCA will contact you to schedule an appointment to inspect your pedicab(s) at a designated location. Registration plates will be issued only to pedicabs that are on-site and that pass inspection during your scheduled appointment. Note: Fee is $10 per pedicab timer inspection. DCA will bill you for the fee after the inspection.

Be sure to review the Pedicab Inspection Process and Inspection Checklist: Pedicab Businesses and Drivers prior to your inspection. 

  • Signage Posting and Pedicab Information Card.
    Pedicab businesses must post required signs and distribute to passengers a Pedicab Information Card. Download templates below:
  • Pedicab Accident Report
    You must submit a written Accident Report of every accident relating to a pedicab within 24 hours after the occurrence. If the accident results in death or a person sustaining an injury that requires medical treatment, you must notify the Department of Consumer Affairs immediately via phone, fax, and/or e-mail as provided on the Accident Report. 


Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.