Translate the page Printer this Page Email a Friend Newsletter Sign-Up Text Size: Sm Med Lg
Department of Consumer Affairs
Get Adobe PDF Reader
 Adobe Acrobat Reader
(required to view PDFs)
License Application Checklist


DCA Licensing Center
42 Broadway
New York, NY 10004
For more information, call 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK outside of New York City). 

You must have a Horse Drawn Cab Driver license to drive a horse drawn cab in New York City.

This description is only a general explanation of which individuals need to have a Horse Drawn Cab Driver license. 

Note: New York City businesses must comply with all relevant federal, state, and City laws and rules. All laws and rules of the City of New York, including the Consumer Protection Law and Rules, are accessible using the Public Access Portal. For convenience, sections of the New York City Licensing Law (and Rules, if enacted) are available as a downloadable handout.

Please note that businesses are responsible for knowing and complying with the most current laws, including any City Council amendments. The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is not responsible for errors or omissions in the handout. The information is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer.


When You File Your DCA License Application:

Below are requirements when filing your license application:

  • Basic Individual License Application   
    Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.

In-person submission: Download the Basic Individual License Application (in PDF)

  • Current color passport-size photograph of License Applicant
    License Applicants can be photographed in the DCA Licensing Center at no cost. 

    Please note that you can upload an image file if you submit your license application online.  
  • Horse Drawn Cab Operator’s Course Completion Certificate.
    Submit a copy of the certificate from the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene showing that you have successfully completed the Horse Drawn Cab Operator’s Course. To register for this course, go in person to the address below with two passport-size photos of yourself and a $25 money order for the course fee. Cash or checks will not be accepted.

    New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
    Veterinary Public Health Services
    220 Church Street, 15th Floor
    New York, NY 10013
    Phone: 311
  • Certificate Recommending an Applicant for a Horse Drawn Cab Driver License (download)
    A New York City-licensed Horse Drawn Cab Driver must complete and sign the certificate which confirms your successful completion of an apprenticeship. 
  • Proof of Age
    Horse Drawn Cab Driver applicants must be at least 18 years old. Proof of age can include:
    • A driver’s license or a non-driver’s license identification issued by a State Department of Motor Vehicles
    • Birth certificate with photo identification
    • Alien card/green card
    • Passport
  • Child Support Certification Form (download
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
    If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.  
  • License Fee
    Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed. Note: An odd year is any year ending in an odd digit; for example, 2013, 2015, etc. An even year is any year ending in an even digit; for example, 2014, 2016, etc. 

    Please note that a 2.49% convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online. 


License Term

License Expiration Date

If You File Your Application Between These Dates:

Your License Fee is:

2 years

May 31
Even years

From June 1 in an even year to November 30 in an even year



From December 1 in an even year to May 31 in an odd year



From June 1 in an odd year to November 30 in an odd year



From December 1 in an odd year to May 31 in an even year


*If you are applying for the license within three to six months prior to the end of the license period, you can pay the prorated fee for the license period about to end plus the fee for the new license period. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.



  1. Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
  2. If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
  3. After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
  4. Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.

You can file applications in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

After You File Your DCA License Application:
Below is information you need to know after submitting your license application:

  • Probationary License
    If you have not previously held a DCA Horse Drawn Cab Driver license, you will be issued a probationary license for six (6) months. At the end of the six-month period, if you did not receive any violations, you will be issued a Horse Drawn Cab Driver license.

Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.