|Click here to download all materials for a Garage, Parking Lot, or Combo Garage and Parking Lot license application as one file (1.8 MB).
GARAGE (049), PARKING LOT (050), COMBO GARAGE AND PARKING LOT LICENSE (098)
DCA Licensing Center
42 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10004
For more information, call 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK outside of New York City).
A business accommodating five or more vehicles for a fee or other consideration charged directly or indirectly must have a Garage license (if vehicles are stored in an entirely enclosed space), a Parking Lot license (if vehicles are stored in an unenclosed space), or a Combo Garage and Parking Lot license (if vehicles are stored in both enclosed and unenclosed spaces).
This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Garage and/or Parking Lot license.
Note: New York City businesses must comply with all relevant federal, state, and City laws and rules. All laws and rules of the City of New York, including the New York City Consumer Protection Law and Rules, are accessible using the Public Access Portal. For convenience, copies of the Rule and Law related to bicycle parking are included as a downloadable handout. Sections of relevant New York City Law (and Rules, if enacted) are also included in the downloadable handout.
If your business will accommodate 51 or more automobiles, you must provide bicycle parking or provide proof of exemption or waiver. Key regulations are below.
- You must provide at least one bicycle parking space for every 10 automobile parking spaces provided, up to 200 automobile parking spaces.
- If your business can accommodate 200 or more automobiles, you must provide at least one additional bicycle parking space for every additional 100 automobile parking spaces.
- Bicycles must be stored inside a secure holding area OR placed on a bike rack that would allow the bike wheel and frame to be locked.
Examples of Minimum Number of Bicycles (up to 249 Automobile Parking Spaces)
|Capacity on DCA License
||Minimum Number of Bicycle Capacity
||Capacity on DCA License
||Minimum Number of Bicycle Capacity
Refer to Inspection Checklist: Garages and Parking Lots for Bike Parking and other requirements.
Please note that businesses are responsible for knowing and complying with the most current laws, including any City Council amendments. The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is not responsible for errors or omissions in the handout. The information is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer.
Before You File Your DCA License Application:
You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application. Although DCA does not require submission of these documents in order to process your application in person or online, DCA reserves the right to request and examine the documents under section 20-104 of the New York City Administrative Code.
- Sole Proprietorships operating under a name other than your own must file a Business/Assumed Name Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
- Sole Proprietorships doing business under your own name—and not under a trade or Doing-Business-As (DBA) name—do not need a Business Certificate.
- General/Business Partnerships must file your Partnership Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.
- Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Department of State. Active status will be verified by DCA prior to license issuance. You can confirm the status of your business entity at http://www.dos.ny.gov/corps/bus_entity_search.html. If applicable, you must also file an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
- Businesses incorporated out of state must obtain a Certificate of Doing Business in Good Standing from your home state’s Secretary of State and file this with an application for Authority to Conduct Business in New York with the New York State Secretary of State.
When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application. If you fail to submit all documents, your application will be denied.
- Basic License Application (download).
Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the relevant Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application Form (in PDF)
- Sales TaxSales Tax Identification Number OR Certificate of Authority Application Confirmation Number.
The Sales Tax Identification Number is the 9, 10, or 11-digit number on your New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Certificate of Authority. You must enter this number on the Basic License Application form. If you have not received your Certificate of Authority, please enter the 6-digit confirmation number you received when you successfully submitted the application for a Certificate of Authority.
To apply for a Certificate of Authority, use the Online Permit Assistance and Licensing (OPAL) website at http://www.opal.ny.gov/. Click “Online Applications” to access the application form. To request a paper application, call (518) 485-2889. Allow four to six weeks after applying to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to receive your Certificate of Authority.
*Barring an exemption or waiver, you must submit four copies of completed Rate Information: two copies for VEHICLES and two copies for BICYCLES. Do not combine vehicles and bicycles Rate Information.
Department of Buildings Document
You must submit a copy of the Certificate of Occupancy, Temporary Certificate of Occupancy (expiring no less than 30 days from date of application submission), OR Letter of No Objection from DOB confirming that your premises is suitable to operate your business. If you submit a Certificate of Occupancy or Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, it must be the most current version, show approval of the premises for “Parking Garage” and/or “Parking Lot,” and indicate a capacity greater than or equal to the number of vehicles your garage and/or parking lot plans to accommodate.
Non-Exempt Status Affirmation (download)
Personal and Property Liability Insurance for Garage and/or Parking Lot.
You must submit a copy of the Insurance Certificate for your premises. Your Insurance Certificate must name the City of New York as a certificate holder. Minimum amounts of coverage are:
- $100,000 per person for personal injury
- $300,000 per accident for personal injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
- $325,000 Combined Single Limit
Note: You must notify DCA within 14 days if your insurance policy is cancelled, expired, or was terminated for any reason. Notification must be in writing and submitted in person OR by mail to:
Attn: Licensing Center
New York City Department of Consumer Affairs
42 Broadway, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.
Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the Licensing Center include MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed and the number of vehicles your garage and/or parking lot will accommodate. Note: An odd year is any year ending in an odd digit; for example, 2013, 2015, etc. An even year is any year ending in an even digit; for example 2014, 2016, etc.
Please note that a 2.49% convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online.
|GARAGE AND/OR PARKING LOT LICENSE
|License Term: 2 years
|License Expiration Date: March 31, Odd years
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates:
||Your License Fee is: (determined by # of cars)
|From April 1 in an odd year to September 30 in an odd year
|From October 1 in an odd year to March 31 in an even year
|From April 1 in an even year to September 30 in an even year
|From October 1 in an even year to March 31 in an odd year
*If you are applying for the license within three to six months prior to the end of the license period, you can pay the prorated fee for the license period about to end plus the fee for the new license period. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.
APPLICATION FILING PROCESS:
- Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.
COMBO GARAGE AND PARKING LOT:
You can file applications in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, 5th floor, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Below is information you need to know after submitting your license application.
Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.