Translate the page Printer this Page Email a Friend Newsletter Sign-Up Text Size: Sm Med Lg
Department of Consumer Affairs
Get Adobe PDF Reader
 Adobe Acrobat Reader
(required to view PDFs)
License Application Checklist


DCA Licensing Center
42 Broadway
New York, NY 10004
For more information, call 311 (or 212-NEW-YORK outside of New York City). 

A business must have a Portable Amusement Device license to operate a truck-mounted and/or inflatable amusement device that is designed to be operated on the vehicle that transports it. Note: A license is required for each device.

This description is only a general explanation of which businesses need to have a Portable Amusement Device license.

Note: New York City businesses must comply with all relevant federal, state, and City laws and rules. All laws and rules of the City of New York, including the Consumer Protection Law and Rules, are accessible using the Public Access Portal. For convenience, sections of the New York City Licensing Law (and Rules, if enacted) are available as a downloadable handout.

Please note that businesses are responsible for knowing and complying with the most current laws, including any City Council amendments. The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is not responsible for errors or omissions in the handout. The information is not legal advice. You can only obtain legal advice from a lawyer.


  • You must obtain appropriate approvals from the Department of Buildings to build permanent amusement devices on your premises before you can apply for a Permanent Amusement Device license. For more information about construction and land use permits, visit 


Before You File Your DCA License Application
You must obtain the following required documents before filing your application. Although DCA does not require submission of these documents in order to process your application in person or online, DCA reserves the right to request and examine the documents under section 20.104 of the New York City Administrative Code.

  • Applicable Business Certificates based on your Business's Legal Structure 

Sole Proprietorships operating under a name other than your own must file a Business/Assumed Name Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.

Sole Proprietorships doing business under your own name—and not under a trade or Doing-Business-As (DBA) name—do not need a Business Certificate.

General/Business Partnerships must file your Partnership Certificate with the clerk of the county in which your business is conducted.

Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Department of State. Active status will be verified by DCA prior to license issuance. You can confirm the status of your business entity at NYS Web site. If applicable, you must also file an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.

Businesses incorporated out of state must obtain a Certificate of Doing Business in Good Standing from your home state’s Secretary of State and file this with an application for Authority to Conduct Business in New York with the New York State Secretary of State.

When You File Your DCA License Application:
Below are requirements when filing your license application:

  • Basic License Application   
    Online submission: After reviewing the application requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the Web page to submit your application.

    In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application Form
  • Inspection Approval by the Department of Buildings
    Each amusement device must pass an inspection conducted by the Department of Buildings (DOB). Complete the Application to Request an Inspection/Recommendation (download)and DCA will forward your request to DOB. At the time of inspection, you should have a copy of the Application to Request an Inspection/Recommendation. DOB will notify DCA of your inspection results. Please note that if you fail the inspection, it is your responsibility to correct problems. 
  • New York State Department of Motor Vehicles Registration
    Submit a copy of the current New York State Department of Motor Vehicles Registration for your amusement device. The address on your registrations must match the address provided on your license application. 
  • Workers' Compensation Insurance 
    Provide a copy of ONE of the following documents as proof of workers’ compensation insurance information:

    • An Insurance Certificate for workers’ compensation insurance from a private insurance carrier or the New York State Insurance Fund Office. The Insurance Certificate must name the Department of Consumer Affairs as the certificate holder OR
    • A Certificate of Attestation of Exemption from the New York State Workers’ Compensation Board (if you claimed exemption from the requirement to hold workers’ compensation insurance)

To learn whether you can claim exemption from holding workers’ compensation insurance, visit NYS Workers’ Compensation Board at

Please note: You must provide DCA with proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance should your business cease to qualify for Workers’ Compensation Exemption.

  • Liability Insurance for Amusement Devices
    You must submit a copy of the Insurance Certificate for your amusement device. Your Insurance Certificate must name the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) as the certificate holder. Minimum amount of coverage is $1,000,000.

Note: You must notify DCA within 14 days if your insurance policy is cancelled, expired, or was terminated for any reason. Notification must be in writing and submitted in person OR by mail to:

Attn: Licensing Center
New York City Department of Consumer Affairs
42 Broadway
New York, NY 10004

  • Inflatable Amusement Device Affirmation (download)
    If you will operate an inflatable amusement device, please complete the affirmation.  
  • Child Support Certification Form (download)
    If your business is a SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP or GENERAL or LIMITED PARTNERSHIP, the proprietor or each individual general partner must submit a Child Support Certification Form.  
  • Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (download)
    If this application will be filed by someone other than the license applicant, the license applicant must submit a Granting Authority to Act Affirmation.  
  • License Fee
    Must be paid by credit card, money order, or check. Cards accepted at the DCA Licensing Center include Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Credit card payments are subject to a 2.49% convenience fee. Checks or money orders must be payable to NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. The chart below lists the amount due depending upon when your license application is filed.

    Please note that a 2.49% convenience fee applies if you submit your license application online. A major credit card is required to submit applications online. 
License Term License Expiration Date If You File Your Application Between These Dates: Your License Fee is:
1 year

March 15

From March 16 to September 15 $50
  From September 16 to March 15 $25

*If you are applying for the license within three to six months prior to the end of the license period, you can pay the prorated fee for the license period about to end plus the fee for the new license period. If you pay both fees, you will not need to renew the license until the end of the next license period.



  1. Please review requirements for the license and gather all materials before clicking the button below.
  2. If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
  3. After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCA cannot process incomplete applications.
  4. Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the DCA Business Toolbox to read requirements and proceed to the online application.

You can file applications in person at the DCA Licensing Center, 42 Broadway, in Manhattan between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

After You File Your DCA License Application:
Below is information you need to know after submitting your license application:

  • Amusement Device Notification of Accident Report.
    You must submit a written Accident Report (download) of every accident relating to an amusement device within 24 hours after the occurrence. If the accident results in death or a person sustaining an injury that requires medical treatment, you must notify both the Department of Consumer Affairs and Department of Buildings immediately via phone, fax, and/or e-mail as provided on the Accident Report. 
  • Weekly Update of Inflatable Amusement Device Operation (download)
    You must provide a weekly update of the time and locations where you plan to operate the inflatable amusement device. DCA contact information is on the form. 

Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCA will provide to you.