Appointment to the Board
The board has 13 members who must all live in the city and reflect the diversity of the city. The city council chooses (designates) five board members, with one from each borough; the mayor chooses five, including the chairperson; and the police commissioner chooses three who have law enforcement experience. The mayor makes the official appointments to the board.
No member of the board may have a law enforcement background, other than those designated by the police commissioner, and none may be public employees or serve in public office. Board members serve three-year terms, which can be and often are, renewed. They receive compensation on a per-session basis, though some board members choose to serve pro bono.
The Core Responsibilities of the Board Include:
- Reviewing and evaluating all completed investigations in order to make findings on the allegations contained in each complaint
- Panels comprised of three board members – one mayoral designee, one city council designee, and one police commissioner designee – conduct case reviews. The panel can substantiate any allegation by a vote of two to one.
- The CCRB forwards all cases with one or more substantiated allegations to the police commissioner. Only the police commissioner has the authority to impose discipline.
- Reviewing and evaluating all mediation-eligible cases to determine whether the case, the officer(s), and the complainant(s) are suitable for mediation
- Overseeing agency operations through specialized committees
- Setting policy for the agency and making policy recommendations to the police commissioner
- Holding monthly public meetings
- Hiring the executive director
Chair (Vacant as of January 1, 2014)
Janette Cortes-Gomez, Esq.
Daniel M. Gitner, Esq.
Dr. Mohammed Khalid
David G. Liston, Esq.
City Council Designees
James F. Donlon, Esq. (Staten Island)
Alphonzo A. Grant, Jr., Esq. (Brooklyn)
Bishop Mitchell G. Taylor (Queens)
Youngik Yoon, Esq . (Bronx)
Joseph A. Puma (Manhattan)
Police Commissioner Designees
Jules Martin, Esq.