Public Design Commission of the City of New York
Art Commission of the City of New York
Art Commission of the City of New York
Printer Firendly Format

  Follow us: Tumblr Flickr
Get Adobe PDF Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader
  (required to view PDFs)





























City Hall Website Pre-Visit Guide



Chronology of City Hall

 

1625 - New Netherland is founded by the Dutch West India Company.

1653 - The New Amsterdam municipal government begins, housed in the former City Tavern.

1664 - New Amsterdam is ceded to the English who rename it New York.

1699-1700 - The second City Hall is built on Wall Street facing Broad Street.

1776 - The British occupy New York City during the Revolutionary War.

1783 - The British evacuate New York City on November 25th.

1788 - City Hall, renamed Federal Hall, is renovated for the inauguration of the first president.

1789 - George Washington is inaugurated on April 30th and New York City becomes the first capital of the United States.

1790 - The United States capital is moved from New York City to Philadelphia.

1802 - The competition for a new City Hall is won by Joseph François Mangin and John McComb, Jr.

1803-12 - The third and current City Hall is built.

1816 - The Governor's Room is completed.

1824 - New York City celebrates the arrival of the Marquis de Lafayette.

1831 - A clock is installed in the City Hall cupola.

1858 - The cupola and statue of Justice are destroyed by a fire.

1898 - New York City is chartered to include the five boroughs.

1917 - A fire damages the cupola and dome.

1954-6 - Deteriorated marble and brownstone on the exterior of City Hall is replaced by limestone and granite.

1960 - City Hall is designated a National Historic Landmark.

1966 - City Hall's exterior and City Hall Park are designated New York City Landmarks.

1976 - City Hall's Rotunda is designated a New York City Landmark.

1983 - The Governor's Room is repainted, the curtains replaced, and the furniture refinished and reupholstered.

1996 - The Rotunda is restored.

1998 - Exterior renovations of the cupola and statue of Justice are completed.

1999 - City Hall Park is rededicated after extensive renovations.

2001-2 - The Governor's Room is restored, including a new ventilation and heating system. The curtains are replaced, and the furniture refinished and reupholstered.

2003 - City Hall is rededicated on its 200th anniversary.

2005-9 - The City Hall portrait collection is conserved.

2008 - The City begins the rehabilitation of City Hall, including structural repairs and the upgrade of life safety and mechanical components.

2012 – As part of the rehabilitation of City Hall, the Council Chamber renovation, which includes the conservation of the ceiling mural series by Taber Sears, is completed and the room is reopened to the public.