Goal: To provide youth between 14 and 21 years of age in foster care with employment readiness and vocational services in order to prepare them for employment. We also provide technical assistance to ACS and contract agency staff so that they may learn the resources and skills to access career services for youths in their programs looking for employment.
The Employment Initiatives Program provides direct referrals, counseling services, as well as technical support to youths, ACS and contract agency staff.
Employment Prep Training
- Individual/Group Employment Counseling
- Employment Workshops
- Career Exploration
- Computer Training
- Job & Vocational Trainings & Placements
- Job Fairs
- Apprenticeship Programs
- Job Readiness
- Computer Training
NYC Human Resource Administration
Office of Youth Development and NYC HRA work in partnership to provide employment through the following organizations:
- America Works
- New York Association for New Americans
- Federation Employment and Guidance Service
- Seedco Non-Profit Assistance Corporation
- Binding Together Inc.
- Career & Education Consultants
Requirements and Required Documents for participation in OYD and HRA partnership training services:
- Must be 18 years old
- Attend & complete job readiness program (minimum
3 to 4 days) if necessary
- Attend orientation session (approx. 2 hrs.)
- Letter stating person is in the custody of social
- Birth Certificate
- Photo ID
- Social Security Card
- Alien Registration Card (non-citizen)
Passport to Success
Passport to Success, a demonstration project funded by the U.S. Department of Labor, is designed to improve the educational and the employment opportunities of 150 foster youth ages 16 to 21. Youth enrolled in Passport of Success receive a wide range of educational, employment and transitional services customized to meet their individual needs. The demonstration project is funded for one year, starting September 1, 2006, to August 31, 2006.